Monday, February 21

Blacked Out Magazine Pages

Censorship is a big thing here in Kuwait. Ever since a kid living in Kuwait, i would remember seeing pages in books from our Library black markered out. I thought that was pretty weird considering i went to a private British school. I guess everything is monitored and passed through the government.

I remember going to movies that were supposed to be 1hr 45 mins and instead would come out after 1hr 25mins, since they cut out specific scenes. In Kuwait a little kid can go watch a Rated R movie since everything is already cut out. They even cut out kissing scenes from cartoons!! O remember seeing Enchanted and every 15 mins or so they would cut out a part. And they think we wouldn't notice and they try to make it seem as though they never cut out anything, but we can definitely tell by the change in music and sudden scenery/scene difference. I don't know why they still do it up to this day. That's why sometimes i would rather wait till the DVD comes out or watch it in Lebanon ( the country that never censors anything! )

Another ridiculous thing is blacking out magazines or tearing out pages. I think they would be drawing more attention to the image that they feel needs to be censored if it had a giant black square on it. The cutting out of pages drives me insane cause it sometimes takes of articles that were behind that "illegal" picture, it also makes the magazine barely complete and way thinner. I guess i would rather have all pages be intact with blackened out areas than pages missing, actually i wouldn't want either of them.

After i turned 17 i decided to order my magazines from the states. It was better in the way that i had all pages there with no censored anything, but the time it took for my magazines to reach me was insane! Kuwait is known for getting Novembers issue in December, and sometimes my November issue that came out in the estates in October would reach me in December. They would check my magazine at the post office and sometimes confiscate them and i would never ever get my missing issue back. Other times i would get a June issue in October randomly or have my magazine come to me out of it's plastic cover.

Below are a few examples i found in some of my old Cosmogirls of blackout pics.








No comments:

Post a Comment